- April 19-27th is Bellingham Beer Week! This is our favorite week of the year! You can find details on the Tap Trail website and keep your eyes out for a Beer Week Event Roundup next week. Your favorite local spots to grab a pint have a lot of special things in store!
- On Thursdayday, April 18 at 7 pm, you can learn more about the presence of B Corps in Bellingham at the Aslan Depot. Three different B Corps will be there, including Aslan Brewing Co. You can learn more about the certification process as well as network with like-minded individuals with an interest in sustainability and positive social change. Cheers!
- Overflow Taps is hosting this spring’s first block party at their Barkley location tonight from 5-10 pm! Join them for fire pits, live music, a 50/50 raffle for DVSAS and of course, delicious pints.
- One of the very first beer week events is on Friday, April 19 at GRUFF Brewing Co. in collaboration with Atwood Ales, where they will release their very special beet beer, Assistant to the Regional Manager. There will be The Office trivia and a prize for best costume. This all starts at 6 pm!
- Tonight at K2, make your voice heard against the proposed Pebble Mine. At 6:30 pm there will be a presentation about protecting Bristol Bay and the opportunity to submit a comment to the Army Corps of Engineers. Every pint sold during this event helps protect Bristol Bay!
- This week’s Lost Giants infusion is a lime-infused Jalapeño Cucumber cider, so much going on in all the best ways.
Aslan Brewing Co. & Kulshan Brewing Co.
Mountain Lion IPA
This collaborative project can be found around town in cans as well as on draft at Aslan Depot and Elizabeth Station. Each of the two breweries took the same recipes and brewed the same beer, but in their own unique style. While the foundation is the same, each beer has nuanced differences that set it apart from the other one. Kulshan’s is a little more West Coast style, while you can see the signature Aslan juicy haze in their rendition of Mountain Lion. Such a cool project, make sure you check it out.
Aslan Brewing Co.
“In the Czech Republic golden lager is not called Pilsner, unless it’s THE Pilsner. That being @pilsnerurquell. All others are referred to as Svetly Lezak (say it: SaVET-lee LEH-jhack) with a number 10-12 telling you how strong the beer is. The rest of the world has done a fine job of diluting the word “Pilsner”, or Pilsener if it’s German. But this beer won’t be doing that. A recent trip to the Czech and a lengthy conversation with the Brewmaster of Pilsner Urquell – who was kind enough to instill the knowledge needed to make authentic Svetly Lezak – led to the inspiration of this beer. This beer follows ALL regulations set forth in the German Purity Law (of 1927) and is authentically brewed to the exact standards of real Czech lager. The mash consisted of a single heirloom variety of Moravian malt (no caramel malt), was triple decocted, and zero modifications were made to the brewing water. We used only Saaz hops at a rate of 1.5 lbs per barrel of wort in the kettle. Fermentation was carried out from 5° C up to 8° C for 8 days, then the beer was transferred into its lagering tank at cellar temperatures where it rested for a full 90 days. There is specifically and very intentionally a small amount of diacetyl present in this beer. This is a result due to the strict adherence to Czech lager brewing. There are quite literally only four ingredients in this beer, Moravian malt, Saaz hops, water, and yeast. Now that we dropped a small history lesson, sit back and enjoy a most authentic golden lager – Na Zdraví!”
Boundary Bay Brewery
Last Call: Juicy Pale Ale
On International Womxn’s Day*, Brewer Jess (pictured) led a crew of Womxn through a new Galbraith Mountain Series beer: Last Call. This juicy pale ale is bursting with tropical aromas and flows through the palate with a fruity bomb Flavor. Last Call is a moniker for a fast and fun ‘last chance’ trail at the base of Galbraith Mountain. This juicy pale ale reflects the ride with a low ABV and moderate bitterness for crushability and pure enjoyment when you’re in the zone.
*A portion of the proceeds for each lb. of hops added will benefit Pink Boots Society whose missions is to assist, inspire and encourage women beer industry professionals to advance their careers through education.
Race Day IPA
Made annually as the official beer for Ski to Sea, Boundary has cans of the Race Day IPA! Now available in their to-go fridge.
Illuminati Brewing Company
Luna Verano Tropical Lager
This tropical style lager is just as refreshing as it is delicious. A natural carbonation brings a creamy frothy head and crisp finish. Generously hopped with Mandarina Bavaria, a strong aroma of citrus, tropical fruits, and white wine burst from the glass. This Skagit Valley pilsner creates an elegant malty flavor that perfectly balances the fruitiness of this beer.
Dirt Reynolds Double IPA
A potent but easy drinking double IPA, with a strong fruity aroma brings notes of melon and mango with every sip.
Kulshan Brewing Co.
Winchester IPA is the latest beer to be released in the Cascade Peaks series. It’s now on tap at Sunnyland and in bottles at both locations. Named after Winchester Mountain, a popular destination for backcountry skiers in the winter and hikers in the summer, this IPA is crisp, dry, and fruity. Citrus notes of lemon and lime predominate in the aroma and on the tongue, followed by more subtle accents of peach, melon, and subtle bready malt.
Lost Giants Cider Company
Orange Zest Cider
Lost Giants is rolling out the cider this week with their latest creation that may make you think you’re sippin’ on liquid sunshine, cheers!
Dance Epidemic IPA
A delightful concoction to celebrate 2019 @bham.beer.week brewed with the fine people @skookumbrewery. Light in color, hugely aromatic, and hazier than the memories of the last night you spent on a dance floor. Featuring an electrifying blend of Idaho 7, Nelson Sauvin, and Sabro hops. Tell all your friends and enemies, together we can spread this infectious disease.
A DIPA that is big, loud and obnoxious in all the best ways. Showcasing an alluring blend of Sabro, Simcoe, and Mosaic hops, Thunderboom explodes with colossal tropical fruit, pineapple, melon, and grapefruit aromas. Deep golden, hazy, full bodied, and overflowing with your daily dose of thunder and boom.