Homebrew recipes for breweries are being unlocked around the US as breweries offer up their once tightly held secrets in the midst of high tap turnover market. The Homebrewers Association just released the Top 50 Commercial Clone Beer Recipes – one for each state. This includes Pliny the Elder. From Washington State, it was Post Doc Brewing’s Demon Star Imperial Stout. From Oregon it was Deschutes Brewing’s Black Butte Porter. Those two recipes are below.
- For 5 gallons (19 L)
- 14 lb Maris Otter
- 1.2 lb Crystal 120L
- 0.6 lb Roasted Barley
- 0.6 lb Black Malt
- 0.6 lb Chocolate Malt
- 0.6 lb Crystal 65L
- 0.3 lb Pale Chocolate
- 38 g CTZ, 15.5% a.a (60 min)
- 28 g Willamette, 5.5% a.a (10 min)
- 28 g Willamette, 5.5% a.a. (0 min)
- Wyeast 1056
- Original Gravity: 1.100
- ABV: 9.8%
- IBU: 63
- Boil Time: 60 minutes
For water additions, we use chalk to raise the pH of the mash to 5.3-5.4. Any other additions depend on the source water.
Mash at 152° F for 60 minutes. Target OG is 1.100.
The bittering addition can be subbed out with pretty much anything, but we use a high-alpha hop to minimize wort losses in the kettle.
Pitch yeast at 65° F, rising to 67° F by the end of fermentation.
Deschutes Black Butte Porter Clone | Porter
- For 5 gallons (18.93 L)
- 9.0 lb (4.08 kg) NW two-row pale malt
- 12.8 oz (363 g) chocolate wheat malt
- 8.0 oz (227 g) 80° L crystal malt
- 5.0 oz (142 g) dextrin malt
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Galena pellet hops, 13% a.a. (90 min)
- 0.25 oz (7 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% a.a. (15 min)
- 0.25 oz (7 g) Hallertauer pellet hops, 4.5% a.a. (5 min)
- English ale yeast (White Labs WLP 002 or Wyeast 1968 London ESB)
- Original Gravity: 1.057
- Final Gravity: 1.016
- IBU: 37
- SRM: 32
- Efficiency: 75%
To make this Deschutes Black Butte Porter clone, mash grains at 153° F (67° C) for one hour. Mash out at 168° F(76° C). Boil for 90 minutes. Ferment at 65° F (18° C).
Substitute pale malt with 7 lb (3.18 kg) light malt extract syrup. Steep and rinse grains, dissolve extract completely, and proceed with boil.